The City of Winfield's Natural Gas Utility is the largest publicly-owned and operated natural gas distribution system in the state of Kansas. The Utility services over 5,000 customers through a network of almost 100 miles of pipeline. Usage is near one billion cubic feet of gas, which includes fuel for electric generation during the summer months.
Winfield has the option of purchasing its gas supplies for current and future use from a variety of gas marketing firms that have an interconnect with the pipeline servicing the City. This allows us to shop around for better gas prices without compromising service. Administration purchases gas from suppliers for both short and long term contracts. By staying aware of market trends and changes, Winfield will continue to realize substantial savings in gas purchases, which in turn are passed along to our customers.
The Utility undertook a bare steel replacement program in the early '90s. Bare, unprotected gas lines rust and corrode just like any other steel pipe. These older lines are being replaced with polyethylene pipe (PE) which is a high grade plastic pipe designed specifically for natural gas. As sections of the mainlines are replaced, crews then replace the associated customer service lines. The service is renewed all the way to the house, at no cost to the customer. There are no renewal surcharges or fees assessed to our customers; the service is courtesy of the Gas Utility.
For additional information on the Natural Gas Utility, please call 620-221-5600 or email: email@example.com.
Important Natural Gas Information
Click v to expand
Report a Natural Gas Leak
Natural gas is a colorless, odorless fuel. As a safety precaution, we add a chemical odorant that gives natural gas an odor often associated with rotten eggs. This distinctive scent allows you to smell a potential leak if it occurs. Always leave if you suspect a leak.
Natural gas is non-toxic, lighter than air and displaces oxygen. In severe cases, if not used properly, it may lead to asphyxiation, and has a risk of ignition near a spark.
Note: Always leave if you suspect a leak. Be aware that some persons may not be able to detect the odorant because they have a diminished sense of smell, known as olfactory fatigue, or because the odor is being masked by other odors in the area. Certain conditions may cause the odorant to diminish so that it is not detectable.
Emergency Contact Information
- CALL 620-221-0404 and Emergency Responders at 911, once you are in a safe place, away from the area of the suspected leak. Stay away until emergency personnel indicate it is safe to return.
- NEVER try to find the leak yourself.
- LEAVE the area immediately, warning others in the area as you leave. Keep everyone away from the area until emergency assistance arrives.
- AVOID touching anything that may cause a spark. This includes lighters, matches, cigarettes, flashlights, light switches and telephones in the area of the suspected leak. Wait until you are a safe distance away before using your cell phone.