Banner

Go To Search
HomeEmailPrintRSS
Neighbors Helping NeighborsWinfield Weather
Report a Natural Gas Leak

Natural gas is a colorless, odorless fuel. As a safety precaution, we add a chemical odorant  that gives natural gas an odor often associated with rotten eggs. This distinctive scent allows you to smell a potential leak if it occurs. Always leave if you suspect a leak.

Natural gas is non-toxic, lighter than air and displaces oxygen. In severe cases, if not used properly, it may lead to asphyxiation, and has a risk of ignition near a spark.

Note: Always leave if you suspect a leak. Be aware that some persons may not be able to detect the odorant because they have a diminished sense of smell, known as olfactory fatigue, or because the odor is being masked by other odors in the area. Certain conditions may cause the odorant to diminish so that it is not detectable. 




Emergency Contact Information

  • CALL 620-221-0404 and Emergency Responders at 911, once you are in a safe place, away from the area of the suspected leak. Stay away until emergency personnel indicate it is safe to return.
  • NEVER try to find the leak yourself.
  • LEAVE the area immediately, warning others in the area as you leave. Keep everyone away from the area until emergency assistance arrives. 
  • AVOID touching anything that may cause a spark. This includes lighters, matches, cigarettes, flashlights, light switches and telephones in the area of the suspected leak. Wait until you are a safe distance away before using your cell phone.